What is Filipinas in Sport?
Filipinas in Sport is AFCS’ latest health promotion campaign that aims to:
- Promote physical activity in Filipino women and girls in leading healthy and active lives
- Celebrate the achievements of Filipino sportswomen and girls
In launching this campaign into the community mid-2023, AFCS sponsored the national women’s basketball team of the Philippines, Gilas Pilipinas Women (GPW) while in Melbourne to acclimatise to Australia’s weather conditions ahead of the FIBA Asia Cup in Sydney late June. Both AFCS and GPW share common aims in advancing Filipinas in sport and teamed up to deliver two exhibition matches. The team arrived in Melbourne on 18 June 2023 receiving a warm welcome from AFCS staff and volunteers at Melbourne Airport.
The events also included the Filipinas in Sport Expo including various sportswoman and girls in Melbourne sharing their achievements and sporting journeys.
The events both started with all-girls basketball clinics facilitated by the GPW players for young girls and emerging talent players. The team led the children in various ball activities that encompassed a positive and encouraging atmosphere for the children. Towards the end of the clinic, GPW players offered Words of Encouragement to the children, encouraging them to chase their dreams, not give up, have fun and be physically active.
During the events, AFCS fundraised for the Filipinas in Sport campaign by selling memorabilia shirts and official photos with the GPW team. Across the two events, AFCS raised $1,291.50. These funds will go towards delivering physical activities and support to reduce Filipino women and girls to engaging in physical activity and sports. AFCS will continue fundraising for the campaign throughout the year.
Between the two exhibition matches, the Philippine Consulate General Melbourne hosted the Welcome Brunch for the Gilas Pilipinas Women’s Team.
Those in attendance include Consul General Maria Lourdes Salcedo, Consul Jan Wenceslao, Consul Ralph Abarquez and AFCS Board of Directors.
During the team’s time in Melbourne they delivered two Seniors Basketball Clinic with AFCS’ seniors from the north-west suburbs, and seniors from the south-east suburbs of Melbourne. The purpose of these clinics was to encourage physical activity despite your physical limitations and age, and adapting to these challenges to remain active.
We thank the following people for making the Gilas Pilipinas Women’s Team trip possible and the two exhibition matches:
- Filipinas in Sport Event Organiser Corina Dutlow, Managing Director
- Lisa Hester from South East Volunteers for the provision and coordination of volunteers tonight
- Charles Te Liaison person for the Gilas Pilipinas Women’s Basketball Team while in Australia
- Consul General Maria Lourdes Salcedo and the Philippine Consulate General Melbourne
- Gilas Pilipinas Women’s Team Manager Michael Lim and Head Coach Pat Aquino, and their coaching and support staff
- Giles Pilipinas Women’s Team
- Casey Basketball CEO Tammy Bower and her team
- Casey Cavaliers Youth Champ Women’s Team
- Keilor Basketball General Manager Jackson Taylor and his team
- Keilor Basketball Women’s Team
- AFCS staff, volunteers and clients
- AFCS Exhibition Match Cheerers
Thank you to the sponsors for the Casey Exhibition Match
Gold Sponsor: Apex Institute
Silver Sponsors D&J Property Co Cranbourne and Roots Outdoor Timber
Bronze Sponsors NMC Finance, Supercharge Batteries, Banqueta Filipino Eatery, and Hilbrook Projects.